Temporary Skilled Shortage -TSS (Subclass 482)
The Subclass 482 visa, also known as the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa, is an Australian temporary work visa designed to address specific skill shortages by allowing employers to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia on a temporary basis. This visa program replaced the previous Subclass 457 visa program and is divided into three streams: Short-Term, Medium-Term, and Labour Agreement.
Key features of the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa:
- Employer Sponsorship: The Subclass 482 visa requires an employer to sponsor an overseas worker for a specific position. The sponsoring employer must demonstrate a genuine need for the worker’s skills and meet various criteria.
- Streams: The TSS visa has three streams:
Short-Term Stream: For occupations on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). Allows a stay of up to two years, with limited opportunities for renewal and no pathway to permanent residency.
Medium-Term Stream: For occupations on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). Allows a stay of up to four years and provides a pathway to permanent residency after three years of work.
Labour Agreement Stream: For employers with a labour agreement in place with the Australian government.
- Occupation Lists: The occupation that the overseas worker is nominated for must be on either the STSOL or MLTSSL, depending on the chosen stream.
- Skills Assessment: Depending on the occupation and the stream, the overseas worker may need to undergo a skills assessment to demonstrate their qualifications and experience.
- English Language Requirement: The TSS visa may have English language proficiency requirements that vary based on the nominated occupation and the stream.
- Health and Character Checks: Like all Australian visas, applicants and their family members must meet health and character requirements.
- Dependent Family Members: TSS visa holders can include certain family members (spouse/partner and dependent children) in their application. Family members can also study and work in Australia.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement: Applicants must demonstrate a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily and comply with visa conditions.
- Training Requirement: Employers sponsoring workers under the TSS visa program may be required to contribute to the Skilling Australians Fund.
- Visa Validity: The visa validity period varies based on the stream and occupation.