Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864)
The Subclass 864 visa, also known as the Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa, is an Australian visa designed for aged parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens who wish to live in Australia with their child. This visa allows aged parents to live in Australia on a permanent basis and access various social benefits.
Key features of the Subclass 864 Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa:
- Aged Parents: The Subclass 864 visa is specifically for parents who are of a certain age (pension age) and wish to live in Australia with their child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Contributory Requirement: This visa is considered “contributory” because applicants are required to make a significant contribution to the Australian government’s social security system through a higher visa application charge. This charge helps cover the potential cost of healthcare and social services for aged parents.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for the Subclass 864 visa, applicants must meet certain age and health requirements. They must also have a child who is settled in Australia and is willing to sponsor them.
- Balance of Family Test: In addition to the above requirements, applicants must meet the “balance of family” test, which assesses the number of their children who are living lawfully and permanently in Australia compared to those who are living overseas.
- Permanent Residency: The Subclass 864 visa provides permanent residency to the aged parents. This means they can live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely and have access to certain social benefits.
- Health and Character Checks: Like all Australian visas, applicants and any family members accompanying them must meet health and character requirements.
- Visa Application Charge: The Subclass 864 visa has a higher visa application charge compared to other parent visa options. The higher charge is the “contributory” component.
- Processing Time: The processing time for the Subclass 864 visa can vary. Applicants are advised to apply well in advance of their intended travel.
- Dependent Family Members: In most cases, dependent family members (spouse/partner and dependent children) can be included in the application. They must meet certain eligibility criteria.