Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
The Subclass 186 visa, also known as the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa, is a permanent residency visa option under the Australian skilled migration program. It is designed for skilled workers who have a job offer from an Australian employer and meet certain eligibility criteria. The ENS visa allows employers to sponsor overseas workers to fill skilled positions in their business on a permanent basis.
Key features of the Subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa:
- Permanent Residency: The Subclass 186 visa is a pathway to permanent residency in Australia. Successful applicants and their eligible family members can live, work, and study in Australia indefinitely.
- Streams: The ENS visa has three main streams: the Temporary Residence Transition stream, the Direct Entry stream, and the Agreement stream. Each stream has specific eligibility criteria and requirements.
- Temporary Residence Transition Stream: This stream is for subclass 457/482 visa holders who have worked for their employer in the nominated occupation for at least three years. They must also meet other eligibility criteria, including age, English language proficiency, and health and character requirements.
- Direct Entry Stream: This stream is for individuals who have not worked in Australia on a subclass 457/482 visa or who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream. Applicants must demonstrate their skills and qualifications in an occupation listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), meet English language requirements, and undergo a skills assessment.
- Agreement Stream: This stream is for individuals who are nominated by an employer through a labour agreement. It involves a specific arrangement between the employer and the Australian government.
- Employer Nomination: To apply for the Subclass 186 visa, an applicant must have a nominating employer who has lodged a nomination application with the Department of Home Affairs. The employer must demonstrate a genuine need for the position and meet various requirements.
- Age Requirements: Depending on the stream, there may be age requirements for applicants. The age limit can vary between streams.
- Health and Character Checks: Like all Australian visas, applicants and their family members must meet health and character requirements.
- Permanent Residency Pathway: The ENS visa offers a direct pathway to permanent residency, and visa holders can eventually apply for Australian citizenship if they meet the eligibility criteria.