Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155)
The Subclass 155 visa is part of the Australian Resident Return Visa (RRV) program and is designed for permanent residents of Australia who wish to travel abroad and return to Australia after their initial five-year permanent residency visa has expired, or for those who have spent substantial time outside of Australia and need to re-establish their eligibility for a permanent visa.
Key features of the Subclass 155 Resident Return Visa:
- Permanent Residency Renewal: The Subclass 155 visa allows permanent residents of Australia to renew their permanent residency status if they meet certain criteria.
- Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for the Subclass 155 visa, applicants must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for a specific period before applying, have substantial ties to Australia (such as family, business, or personal connections), or have compelling reasons for being outside Australia for an extended period.
- Residency Requirement: For most applicants, they need to have lived in Australia for at least two years out of the five years immediately before applying for the Subclass 155 visa. There are exceptions for individuals who have substantial business, cultural, employment, or personal ties to Australia.
- Two-Year Requirement: If the applicant has lived in Australia for less than two years out of the five-year period, they must demonstrate substantial ties to Australia and show that they have compelling and compassionate reasons for being absent from Australia.
- Travel and Return: The Subclass 155 visa allows the holder to travel abroad and return to Australia as a permanent resident. It provides a mechanism for maintaining permanent residency status even if the initial permanent visa has expired.
- Validity Period: The validity period of the Subclass 155 visa can vary depending on individual circumstances. It may be granted for up to five years, allowing the visa holder to travel to and from Australia during that time.
- Processing Time: The processing time for the Subclass 155 visa can vary, and applicants are advised to apply well in advance of their intended travel.
- Health and Character Requirements: Like all Australian visas, the Subclass 155 visa has health and character requirements that must be met by the applicant and any dependants.