Sponsored Parent (Temp Visa) (Subclass 870)
The Subclass 870 visa, also known as the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa, is an Australian visa designed to allow parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens to visit and stay with their children in Australia for an extended period of time. This visa provides parents with the opportunity to spend time with their family and engage in various activities while in Australia.
Key features of the Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa:
- Parental Relationship: The Subclass 870 visa is specifically for parents who want to visit and stay with their child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Sponsorship Requirement: To apply for the Subclass 870 visa, an applicant must be sponsored by their child who is settled in Australia. The sponsoring child must meet certain criteria and agree to sponsor their parent’s stay.
- Eligibility Criteria: Both the applicant parent and the sponsoring child must meet certain eligibility requirements related to income, residency, and health insurance.
- Visa Validity: The Subclass 870 visa allows parents to stay in Australia for up to three or five years, depending on the sponsor’s choice. This provides an extended period for parents to spend time with their family in Australia.
- Health and Character Checks: Like all Australian visas, applicants and any family members accompanying them must meet health and character requirements.
- No Work Rights: The Subclass 870 visa does not provide work rights. Holders of this visa are not allowed to work in Australia.
- No Pathway to Permanent Residency: The Subclass 870 visa is a temporary visa and does not provide a direct pathway to permanent residency. It is designed for the purpose of family reunification and extended visits.
- Visa Application Process: The visa application process involves both the parent applicant and the sponsoring child completing their respective applications and meeting the requirements.
- Financial Support: Sponsors must provide a written undertaking to cover any potential healthcare costs incurred by the parent during their stay in Australia.