Student Visa (Subclass 500)
The Subclass 500 visa is an Australian student visa designed for international students who wish to study in Australia. This visa allows individuals to enrol in a full-time course of study at an Australian educational institution, such as a university, college, or vocational education provider.
Key features of the Subclass 500 student visa:
- Study Purposes: The primary purpose of the Subclass 500 visa is to enable international students to pursue full-time study in Australia. This can include courses at various levels, such as English language courses, vocational education and training (VET) programs, undergraduate and postgraduate courses, and research programs.
- Enrolment: To apply for the Subclass 500 visa, an applicant must have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a registered Australian educational institution. The CoE verifies that the applicant has been accepted into a course of study.
- Course Requirements: The course of study must be full-time and registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
- English Language Proficiency: Depending on the level of study and the applicant’s country of origin, English language proficiency requirements may apply. This can be demonstrated through English language test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
- Financial Capacity: Applicants need to show evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and other costs while studying in Australia.
- Health Insurance: International students are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their stay in Australia.
- Health and Character Requirements: Like all Australian visas, applicants and any family members accompanying them must meet health and character requirements.
- Work Rights: Student visa holders are generally allowed to work a limited number of hours per week during their course of study and may have unrestricted work rights during scheduled course breaks.
- Dependent Family Members: Student visa holders can include certain family members (spouse/partner and dependent children) in their application. Family members can also study and work in Australia.
- Visa Duration: The Subclass 500 visa duration depends on the length of the course of study and the type of course. The visa may be granted for the duration of the course plus a short period afterward, allowing for course completion.
- Visa Conditions: Student visa holders must comply with various conditions, including maintaining enrolment and satisfactory academic progress.